While the world’s political leaders gathered in Glasgow for COP 24, we joined leaders of another ilk who gathered digitally and physically in Sydney for the Impact X Tech Conference.
Over 1000 participants, 98 speakers and panelists including international leaders, Government leaders, industry leaders, venture capital firms, entrepreneurs and environmental groups, came together to discuss what they are doing, what they plan, and what else is needed. The focus was on hope and practical action.
The key themes were the need for:
- urgent pre-2030 climate action, action to reduce emissions and build resilience this decade
- laws and policy to create a level playing field and accelerate the changes needed. This includes the need for a net zero Carbon building code and national emissions standards for vehicles
- more sharing of information and solutions locally, nationally and internationally. One example of a sharing system working well is the Global Covenant of Mayors helping to share information and elevate local issues and voices to national and international level.
- a fit-for-purpose electricity grid
- more funding and support for early stage innovations
- more public sector/private sector collaboration on climate solutions and implementation